Introduction to Amateur Radio
Tuesday February 26th, 2019 7:00pm-8:30pm
BV Search & Rescue HQ - Ranger Park Building - Smithers, BC
The Bulkley Valley Amateur Radio Society will be offering a course on Basics of Amateur Radio during March and April 2019. The course is intended to introduce students to the theory and application of radio technology, including amateur communications and emergency preparedness. Additionally, the course will prepare students to write the Basic Amateur Radio Certificate exam if they choose to pursue it.
The course will include:
- Basic theory of electronics with application to radio communications
- Basic theory of radio waves, propagation, and antennas
- Demonstrations of various applications of amateur radio, including:
- local and worldwide communication
- point-to-point, internet, and satellite links
- voice and data transmission using analog and digital equipment
- software-defined radio, computer applications, and test equipment
- Safe and responsible operation of an amateur radio station in compliance with government regulations
Students will also construct a simple receiver and transmitter from scratch as a means of understanding fundamental concepts. Dependent on interest, there will also be separate opportunities to learn:
• Morse code (not required for taking the course, nor for the government license).
• Hand soldering
Fees: The course fee will be $60, including all necessary parts for various workshops. For those wishing to get into the hobby of Amateur Radio, the fee also includes the government Basic Certificate exam and loan of a licensing study text book (also available for purchase). All reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate all people from a diverse range of education, ability, and affluence.
When & Where: There will be two registration/introductory sessions:
• Tuesday February 26nd at 7 PM, and
• Saturday March 2nd at noon.
Registration and classes will be held at the BV Search & Rescue Hall, located in the basement of the Ranger Park building in Smithers. The course will run weekly for a total of about 20 hours throughout March and April, in a combination of Tuesday evenings and two or three Saturday afternoon sessions. We will determine the detailed schedule in consultation with registrants.
Please let us know your interest!
Email email@example.com to indicate which registration session you wish to attend. It would also be useful to indicate which March/April Saturdays afternoons are preferable for you, to help with scheduling.